Thank you for your interest in submitting for Loft Ensemble's 2018/2019 Season.
We welcome your submission of an original, world premiere, or west coast premiere play for consideration. Here is some important information about
how to submit your original script and/or pitches for production at Loft Ensemble.
WHAT IS THE 2018/2019 SEASON?
We seek to curate a season that fulfills the achieves the following goals:
- Work that represents Loft Ensemble's brand and style,
- Work that offers diversity of subject matter and theme,
- Work that appeals to our current membership and serves as a springboard to draw new members,
- Work that offers cultural diversity in both subject matter and casting,
- Work that optimizes potential for critical attention and acclaim including Ovation attention; and
- Work that maximizes marketability.
With that in mind please consider submitting your pitches for the next season. We are looking for two primary types of original work:
- Original plays by established Loft company members and local playwrights for the Loft Mainstage; and
- Original plays for our Loft Next Stage Program in the summer. The Loft Next Stage Program is a workshop slot that is open to new playwrights and directors trying out the craft for the first time, or established playwrights trying out new or experimental material or genre. As it is a workshop/experimental slot, each Next Stage Production will be supervised and mentored by a Senior Loft company member who is experienced with writing and directing for Loft, with the aim to create an educational environment where new writers can learn how to work with a director and actors, and new directors can learn to work with actors and writers. These shows will focus on the work and will be presented black box and have minimal set and lighting.
THE SPECIFIC CALENDAR IS AS FOLLOWS:
- September - November 2018 - Metaphysical, Occult, Halloween Horror Play
- November - December 2018 - Original Seasonally Aware Play
- January - March 2019 - Classic - Shakespeare and Beyond
- March - May 2019 - Original West Coast Premiere (Seeking submissions from within and without the company)
- May - July 2019 - Royalty Play - To Be Announced (Pitches from Company Members are welcome)
- August - September 2019 - Next Stage Black Box Original Production (Seeking submissions from within company only)
SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS AND DEADLINE
- Deadline for submission is March 15, 2018 (earlier submissions are welcome)
- Submit your fully written plays to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will also be accepting plays written by friends of the company.
- Original shows - March 1st, 2018 / Summer black box show - March 1st, 2018
The artistic committee will read your play/submission and may make suggestions and request a subsequent draft for consideration.
Notification of acceptance and calendar slot will be sent by June 15, 2018.
PLEASE SEND YOUR FULLY WRITTEN PLAYS TO SUBMISSIONS@LOFTENSEMBLE.ORG